Friday 24 September 2010

Wilkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome!

This is my first blog about my experiences in Second Life.  I've not been here long, but suffice to say that my stay thus far has been interesting, frustrating, more than a little fun... and also emotionally painful.  I've learnt a lot, and met many interesting and fun people here.  I've met a few brain dead individuals too, (why do so many of the seem to be male youths with a penis obsession?) but on the whole it's been am illuminating experience.

Though I  have only been here a short time, I have seriously had to consider leaving SL... Life in SL without the Emerald Viewer would just have been unbearable.  I quite like the Imprudence viewer, but even that doesn't really offer the flexibility and ease of use that Emerald did...  Hooray for Phoenix!   It certainly saved the day, as the prospect of life with Viewer 2 was a fate worse than (SL) death.  True, there are other viewers, all with their strong points, but overall, it was Emerald, (and now Phoenix) that made SL a joy for me.  I'm far from certain that all the rumour that flies around SL is with basis, as there is more than a smidgin of FUD inworld, and the drama that seems to surround that makes the usual kinds of drama that people in SL seem so opposed to look trivial.

Drama... abounds in SL, as I'm sure I have no need to tell you.  However, given the deep intensities of the relationships, and real bonds that are formed there, it's perhaps no surprise that sometimes hurt feelings come to the fore.  I have already been quite badly hurt, and have quite badly hurt someone myself in SL.  As is often the case, it started with a silly misunderstanding over an important matter, and much overreaction as a consequence.  Accusations flew, and counter flew, and it became quite bitter and nasty.  I hold my hand up to my part in it, and I believe the other person does too.  I have no regrets for my actions, even though they were badly thought through, it seemed the right reaction at the time. But I am truly penitent for the hurt I caused.  I certainly have no regrets whatsoever about the relationship itself, it was a truly rewarding time for me, and I shall carry that for the rest of my days, both in SL and RL.  As a result of the loss of this very special relationship my SL life is poorer, and though both myself and the other person are moving on in our lives, I do genuinely miss her company, and have been surprised at the depth of feelings I have for her still.  However, that is now in the past, and life goes on.  In RL it's common to make changes in your life after a relationship breakdown, so I got a new hairstyle, and being SL, a new look too... and so has my former lover, who has made radical changes from being a tanned beauty to being a rather pale, even consumptive looking beauty with pale eyes somewhat in the style of a Pre Raphaelite painting.  Ironically almost, we now both have long red hair. I wish her well in her Second Life, and hope she reciprocates.

I look forward to the next phase of my Second Life, to the friends I undoubtedly will make, and to learning to be creative in some way or another, as I'd like to be able to have a Second Life completely unfunded by Real Life money!

No comments:

Post a Comment